Weekly study3 hours
100% onlineLearn at your own pace
Extra BenefitsFrom $74
World Class Maths: Asian Teaching Methods
Discover how to use world-class maths teaching methods in your own lessons
Get an introduction to Asian maths teaching methods for primary education, with this course from Macmillan Education and University of Southampton.
On this course, you’ll find out about the key features of Asian maths teaching methods and what makes them so successful.
You’ll understand teaching principles from Singapore and Shanghai, and apply these to your own practice.
You’ll evaluate the performance of maths education in your own country, and compare this with Asian countries.
Finally, you’ll learn why teacher professional development is so important in Asian education systems.
- Exploring the international success of Asian education systems in primary mathematics teaching
- The key features of Asian maths pedagogies
- Understanding established principles from Singapore teaching methods, including Concrete-Pictorial-Abstract and the Model Method
- Understanding established principles from Shanghai: Two Basics and Teaching with Variation
- The role of professional development in Asian primary maths education
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Explore the performance of your national maths education compared with those from Asian countries
- Summarise the key features of Asian maths teaching methods
- Evaluate several prominent teaching methods from Asian education systems
- Reflect on the role of professional development in maths teaching
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for primary school teachers, school administrators and education policy makers, but may also be of interest to parents with children at primary school.
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.