Discover how to use world-class maths teaching methods in your own lessons
Get an introduction to Asian maths teaching methods for primary education, with this course from Macmillan Education and University of Southampton.
On this course, you’ll find out about the key features of Asian maths teaching methods and what makes them so successful.
You’ll understand teaching principles from Singapore and Shanghai, and apply these to your own practice.
You’ll evaluate the performance of maths education in your own country, and compare this with Asian countries.
Finally, you’ll learn why teacher professional development is so important in Asian education systems.
- Exploring the international success of Asian education systems in primary mathematics teaching
- The key features of Asian maths pedagogies
- Understanding established principles from Singapore teaching methods, including Concrete-Pictorial-Abstract and the Model Method
- Understanding established principles from Shanghai: Two Basics and Teaching with Variation
- The role of professional development in Asian primary maths education
When would you like to start?
Start straight away and learn at your own pace. If the course hasn’t started yet you’ll see the future date listed below.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Explore the performance of your national maths education compared with those from Asian countries
- Summarise the key features of Asian maths teaching methods
- Evaluate several prominent teaching methods from Asian education systems
- Reflect on the role of professional development in maths teaching
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for primary school teachers, school administrators and education policy makers, but may also be of interest to parents with children at primary school.
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLWorldClassMaths to talk about this course on social media.