Blended Learning Essentials for Vocational Education and Training
Prepare your learners to succeed in the workplace by fostering digital skills through blended learning.
DurationApprox 10 weeks
4 hrs per week
CertificatesEarn course CertificatesFind out more
100% onlineLearn at your own paceHow it works
Cost$39/monthFind out more
A comprehensive introduction to blended learning for teachers and trainers.
Technology has fundamentally changed how we learn, making it more engaging but also challenging. This ExpertTrack contains essential knowledge for teachers, trainers and managers who are developing blended learning and preparing learners to succeed in the workplace.
You’ll explore the main principles of blended learning, how to embed it in your practice, and how to use it more effectively, with real-world examples and teaching resources on offer throughout the ExpertTrack. Improving digital fluency in your learning practice will help you deliver lessons more effectively while building your learners’ digital skills in the process.
Adopt successful blending learning models in your classroom
Assess your readiness for blended learning with support from experienced digital champions - you’ll receive practical advice on how and when to adopt blended learning within your teaching.
Once you have a good understanding of the principles of blended learning, you’ll review a number of case studies from the sector to compare different implementations to find a version that suits your learning environment.
Enhance your range of teaching resources and technologies
Blended learning incorporates your virtual learning environment (VLE) but doesn’t stop there. You’ll be presented with a range of open tools and educational resources that you can incorporate into your teaching.
Extending your list of resources, as well as your skills in assessing and adopting them, means that you can pick and choose the right options for you and your learners at each stage of the journey.
Build your students’ digital skills
Digital skills are essential in today’s job market, so using this opportunity to build your learners’ digital literacy will increase their employability and effectiveness once they enter the world of work.
This ExpertTrack covers ways of teaching digital skills, as well as more in depth information on how to manage digital identities and information. You’ll even cover how to create and public digital content while considering copyright and licensing laws.
Foster independent learning and improved learning outcomes
Your learners can use this opportunity to build their independent learning skills, and you can facilitate a number of options for them to take more control of their learning approaches and styles. This improves their life-long learning outcomes and means that you can focus on the most important activities for their progression.
Key skills you will learn
- Blended learning
- Teaching online
- Digital skills
- Content creation
- Vocational training
By the end of the ExpertTrack, you’ll be able to...
- Identify and evaluate a variety of effective blended learning approaches to improve learners' experience and attainment.
- Develop ways in which new technology can contribute to the difficult challenges facing the FE and Skills sector
- Achieve a greater awareness of the many free/affordable tools to enhance teaching and learning
- Identify good practice in using digital tools for collecting evidence
- Explain the potential in using digital tools for the End Point Assessment
- Explore the role of the trainer in apprenticeships in the digital age
- Describe the role of digital in preparing for a trainer’s or organisation’s readiness for the apprenticeship programme
- Develop your learner's acquisition of the digital skills needed in the workplace
- Apply knowledge of blended learning of new technologies into their future delivery
To make the most of this ExpertTrack, it’s recommended that you have some experience with blended learning. It is suitable for a variety of working environments, including further education, skills, training, vocational training, workplace training, and lifelong learning.
This ExpertTrack will help you whether you are directly supporting learners or delivering training - it will help you to use digital technology more effectively and make the most of blended learning principles and approaches. It is ideal for people who do not feel they are making the most of their digital toolkits, new teachers and trainers, or educators who would like to refresh their skills and get a full view of their digital options.
ExpertTrack course overview
Blended Learning Essentials: Getting Started4.5 (68 reviews)
Learn how to promote effective practice and pedagogy in blended learning on this vocational education training course.
1 peer-graded assignment
4 hours per week
Blended Learning Essentials: Embedding Your Practice4.6 (46 reviews)
Once you have a foundation in blended learning principles, learn to embed them in your teaching practices.
1 peer-graded assignment
4 hours per week
Blended Learning Essentials: Developing Digital Skills4.4 (49 reviews)
Support your learners to develop digital skills for the workplace through the use of blended learning.
1 peer-graded assignment
4 hours per week
Prove you're job ready
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
How ExpertTracks work
Join an ExpertTrack to master new skills in your chosen specialist area. Work through a series of topic-focused courses at your own pace, and pass the final assessment to earn a digital certificate award which proves your expertise.
Decide if the ExpertTrack is right for you with free access to the full suite of courses and assessments for a week.
Pay a monthly subscription fee of $39 for as long as it takes you to complete the ExpertTrack. You can learn at your own pace and cancel at any time.
Receive a certificate for every completed course and pass the final assessment to earn a digital certificate.
Use your specialist training to progress further in your career or build expertise in areas you’re passionate about.
Meet your instructors
Chair of Learning with Digital Technology, Knowledge Lab, UCL IOE.
Developing a global community of teachers around the Learning Designer
Dean of Digital Education and Professor of Educational Technology at the University of Leeds. For more information see: https://essl.leeds.ac.uk/education/staff/156/professor-neil-morris
I am a Senior Research Fellow in Digital Education in the School of Education at the University of Leeds. https://essl.leeds.ac.uk/education/staff/168/dr-bronwen-j-swinnerton
Learning on FutureLearn
Your learning, your rules
- Courses are split into weeks, activities, and steps to help you keep track of your learning
- Learn through a mix of bite-sized videos, long- and short-form articles, audio, and practical activities
- Stay motivated by using the Progress page to keep track of your step completion and assessment scores
Join a global classroom
- Experience the power of social learning, and get inspired by an international network of learners
- Share ideas with your peers and course educators on every step of the course
- Join the conversation by reading, @ing, liking, bookmarking, and replying to comments from others
Map your progress
- As you work through the course, use notifications and the Progress page to guide your learning
- Whenever you’re ready, mark each step as complete, you’re in control
- Complete 90% of course steps and all of the assessments to earn your certificate
Want to know more about learning on FutureLearn? Using FutureLearn
What are our learners saying?
Start learning today - free 7-day trial
After your free trial you can:
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends
ExpertTracks are a series of online courses designed to help you master new skills in specialist areas. You pay a monthly subscription fee which includes access to all courses within the ExpertTrack, as well as assessments and the final digital certificate.
Each ExpertTrack comes with a 7-day free trial period. You may cancel your subscription at any time and your subscription will automatically cancel when you finish the courses and assessments in your chosen ExpertTrack.
Yes. All of our ExpertTracks come with a 7-day free trial. You may claim one free trial period per ExpertTrack.
You have seven days before you will be charged your first monthly subscription fee. When you join an ExpertTrack you automatically receive a 7-day free trial period. You can cancel at any time during the trial period and no payment will be taken from your account.
Please see our full refund policy here.
No, all of our ExpertTracks consist of fully online courses. This means you can take an ExpertTrack from anywhere in the world.
No. ExpertTracks are designed for you to master new skills in a specialist area. You will earn a digital certificate that proves your learning, but it does not carry accreditation.
If you’re looking for certified or accredited courses, many of our microcredentials offer university credit or professional certification.
Have more questions about ExpertTracks? Read the ExpertTracks FAQs, or contact us.