After learning this video, you can write these characters as their order in the worksheet to help you better understand what you have learned.
- 雨（yǔ, rain）：The horizontal line of this character indicates the sky. The dots represent the rain drops.
- 气（qì, air）：It refers to the air, so 天气（tiānqì） means “weather”.
- 冷（lěnɡ, cold）：The left two dots refer to the ice that is melting, so the two dots represent coldness. The right part 令（lìng, order）stands for the pronunciation.
- 喜（xǐ, happy）：This character looks like a smiling mouth under a drum, so it is related to happiness.
- 病（bìnɡ, sick）：The outside part is the radical, meaning “being sick”. The inner part stands for the pronunciation.
- 休（xiū, rest）：This character 休 consists of two parts. The left part 人（rén, person）. The right part is 木（mù, tree）. So 休（xiū） means “to rest”.
Learn Chinese: Introduction to Chinese Conversation
Our purpose is to transform access to education.
We offer a diverse selection of courses from leading universities and cultural institutions from around the world. These are delivered one step at a time, and are accessible on mobile, tablet and desktop, so you can fit learning around your life.
We believe learning should be an enjoyable, social experience, so our courses offer the opportunity to discuss what you’re learning with others as you go, helping you make fresh discoveries and form new ideas.
You can unlock new opportunities with unlimited access to hundreds of online short courses for a year by subscribing to our Unlimited package. Build your knowledge with top universities and organisations.