Articulation position of z zh j
zh. The tongue should be raised to touch the hard palate. j. The tip of the tongue doesn’t touch anything, but the upper surface of the tongue should touch the upper jaw.Words for practicing: Click to listen
- zuòfàn — cook; zhuōzi — table; jiāyóu — add oil
- “jiā”means to add,“yóu”means oil. Like a car adding oil, you have energy, to run faster, to do better! So when you want to encourage people, you say “jiā yóu”, means “you can do it” !
Sì shì sì, shí shì shí. Shísì shì shísì. Sìshí shì sìshí.（4 is 4, 10 is 10, 14 is 14, 40 is 40）Click to listen You can first read it slowly but clearly, then try to read it faster.
- cèsuǒ — toilet; chēshǒu — rider; qiézi — eggplant.
- zhōngcān — Chinese food; shuìjiào — sleep; zàijiàn — good-bye
- qí zìxíngchē — ride a bicycle; chūzūchē sījī — taxi driver.
- Tongue twister to practice s, sh sound and the tones:
Introduction to Chinese: Pronunciation and Tone
Our purpose is to transform access to education.
We offer a diverse selection of courses from leading universities and cultural institutions from around the world. These are delivered one step at a time, and are accessible on mobile, tablet and desktop, so you can fit learning around your life.
We believe learning should be an enjoyable, social experience, so our courses offer the opportunity to discuss what you’re learning with others as you go, helping you make fresh discoveries and form new ideas.
You can unlock new opportunities with unlimited access to hundreds of online short courses for a year by subscribing to our Unlimited package. Build your knowledge with top universities and organisations.