Review of what’s been covered
ResourcesSee below for a list of relevant resources used in this Week. We’ll provide a comprehensive list of all resources and further reading which can be downloaded at the end of the course.
- Healthy Eating and Nutrition for the Whole Family. HuffPost. 2016.
- Am I Depressed And What Can I Do About It? by Reynolds, S. & Parkinson, M. (2015). A CBT self-help guide for teenagers experiencing low mood and depression.
- Teenage Depression: A CBT Guide For Parents by Parkinson, M. & Reynolds, S. (2015). Help your child beat their low mood. An indispensable guide for parents of a depressed teenager.
- Orchard, F., Pass, L., Marshall, T., & Reynolds, S. (2017). Clinical characteristics of adolescents referred for treatment of depressive disorders. Child and Adolescent Mental Health, 22(2), 61-68.
- Jacka, F. N., Kremer, P. J., Leslie, E. R., Berk, M., Patton, G. C., Toumbourou, J. W., & Williams, J. W. (2010). Associations between diet quality and depressed mood in adolescents: results from the Australian Healthy Neighbourhoods Study. Australian & New Zealand journal of psychiatry, 44(5), 435-442. Please note this study is behind a paywall.
- Jacka, F. N., Rothon, C., Taylor, S., Berk, M., & Stansfeld, S. A. (2013). Diet quality and mental health problems in adolescents from East London: a prospective study. Social psychiatry and psychiatric epidemiology, 48(8), 1297-1306. Please note this study is behind a paywall.
- Gregory, A. M., Sadeh A. (2016). Annual Research Review: Sleep problems in childhood psychiatric disorders – a review of the latest science. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry 57(3), 296–317
- Childline: 0800 11 11 Free confidential 24hr helpline for young people up to 19yrs old.
- Samaritans: 116 123 Free confidential 24-hour helpline.
- Papyrus HOPELineUK: 0800 068 41 41 Free confidential helpline for anyone concerned about a young person at risk of harming themselves. Open weekdays 10am – 5pm, 7pm – 10pm; weekends 2pm – 5pm.
- Healthy family dinners by Delicious Magazine. Some healthy family recipes for ideas.
- Mental Elf Service A mental health blog for you to keep up-to-date with all of the important and reliable mental health research and guidance.
- Exercise for Depression NHS website website for advice and support.
Understanding Depression and Low Mood in Young People
Our purpose is to transform access to education.
We offer a diverse selection of courses from leading universities and cultural institutions from around the world. These are delivered one step at a time, and are accessible on mobile, tablet and desktop, so you can fit learning around your life.
We believe learning should be an enjoyable, social experience, so our courses offer the opportunity to discuss what you’re learning with others as you go, helping you make fresh discoveries and form new ideas.
You can unlock new opportunities with unlimited access to hundreds of online short courses for a year by subscribing to our Unlimited package. Build your knowledge with top universities and organisations.