Validation process for the elimination of trachoma
- A prevalence of trachomatous trichiasis (TT) ‘unknown to the health system’ of < 0.2% in adults aged 15 years and above
- A prevalence of trachomatous inflammation—follicular (TF) in children aged 1 – 9 years of < 5%, in each formerly endemic district.
- S – trichiasis surgery
- A – antibiotic mass drug administration (MDA)
- F – facial cleanliness
- E – environmental improvement.
Key decision stages for the national task force
- Baseline survey
- Impact survey
- Surveillance survey
1. Baseline surveyBased on the baseline findings a decision is taken on whether SAFE interventions are required or not.
- S is provided in an active manner if TT > 0.2% in adults aged 15 years and above.
- A, F, E are provided if TF ≥ 5% in children aged 1 – 9 years.
Want to keep
London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine online course,
- TF ≥ 30%: 5 rounds
- TF 10 – 29.9%: 3 rounds
- TF 5 – 9.9%: 1 round
- TF < 5%: A, F, E not required for trachoma elimination purposes
2. Impact surveyThis is carried out at EU level 6 – 12 months after the final planned MDA round.
- S continues to be provided in an active manner if TT > 0.2% in adults aged 15 years and above.
- A, F, E are provided if TF ≥ 5% in children aged 1 – 9 years. As at baseline, the number of MDA rounds to be provided depends on the prevalence of TF.
3. Surveillance surveyThe surveillance survey estimates TF prevalence at least 24 months after the last impact survey has shown a TF prevalence < 5% in children aged 1 – 9 years at EU level.
Job aid: Key decision stages for the national task force (Download)
As you look at this guidance, consider why there may be variations in the number of recommended MDA rounds to be undertaken before re-survey, based on TF prevalence.
Our purpose is to transform access to education.
We offer a diverse selection of courses from leading universities and cultural institutions from around the world. These are delivered one step at a time, and are accessible on mobile, tablet and desktop, so you can fit learning around your life.
We believe learning should be an enjoyable, social experience, so our courses offer the opportunity to discuss what you’re learning with others as you go, helping you make fresh discoveries and form new ideas.
You can unlock new opportunities with unlimited access to hundreds of online short courses for a year by subscribing to our Unlimited package. Build your knowledge with top universities and organisations.