Skip main navigation

Further data from the crisis

Numbers and significant data from the Venezuelan crisis
0
[THEME LOGO MUSIC]
12.7
As we have seen the Bolivarian revolution has significantly impacted Venezuela, the South American continent, and global migration. Let’s look at the data now. This crisis has been defined by the UN Refugee Agency as the largest case of displacement in Latin America’s recent history for its impact and numbers. According to the UNHCR’s internal displacement monitoring center, in 2019, there were 4.5 million displaced Venezuelans. In 2020, this number reached 5.4 million people. Of the 2019 Venezuelan displaced people, over 93,000 were refugees, over 790,000 were asylum-seekers, and 3.6 million were displaced abroad. This place is Venezuela second only to the Syrian Arab Republic, which recorded 6.6 million refugees in 2019.
84.1
Of those who fled Venezuela, 85% are currently hosted in a developing country, mostly Colombia. The remaining 15% are hosted in developed countries such as in order US, Spain, Portugal, and Canada. Additionally 73% of Venezuelans who left the country between 2014 and 2019, are currently stationed in neighboring countries. Colombia hosts the majority followed by Peru, Chile, Ecuador, Brazil and Argentina. To frame the scale of the situation, in 2019, Columbia was reported second hosting country in the world, second only to Turkey. Now go to the next step and test your understanding of this case study on Venezuela.
This article is from the free online

Why Do People Migrate? Facts

Created by
FutureLearn - Learning For Life

Our purpose is to transform access to education.

We offer a diverse selection of courses from leading universities and cultural institutions from around the world. These are delivered one step at a time, and are accessible on mobile, tablet and desktop, so you can fit learning around your life.

We believe learning should be an enjoyable, social experience, so our courses offer the opportunity to discuss what you’re learning with others as you go, helping you make fresh discoveries and form new ideas.
You can unlock new opportunities with unlimited access to hundreds of online short courses for a year by subscribing to our Unlimited package. Build your knowledge with top universities and organisations.

Learn more about how FutureLearn is transforming access to education