Preventive measures of skin diseases at work
GlovesThere are a wide range of glove types to choose from. Selection of glove type and material must be based on the type of exposure and nature of the hazard. © Colourbox
Different kinds of gloves are designed to give protection against different hazards:
- Chemical (toxic, irritating)
- Physical (rough or sharp-edged objects, high/low temperature)
- Biological (infectious material)
- Combinations of hazards
When handling organic solvents, leather gloves will not protect the skin against exposure. Information about suitable glove material can be found in the product’s safety data sheet (SDS).
© G. Tjalvin
© G. Tjalvin
Some basic skin care principles at the workplace
- Remove any rings
- When exposed to the hazards of a specific job, use the appropriate type of gloves
- Use thin cotton gloves underneath protective gloves
- Use lukewarm water for washing the hands
- Substitute abrasive or irritating cleansers with milder, non-perfumed soaps
- Use emollient hand creams after each hand washing and after repeated exposure to irritants, to maintain the natural barrier of the skin
- Protect hands at home
Management of allergic and irritant contact eczemaIt is generally accepted that workers who have allergic contact eczema should avoid persistent exposure to the causal agent in order to prevent the eczema from worsening. Even a very low exposure to the sensitizing agent, can result in a severe eczema outbreak. Allergic contact eczema is a lifelong condition.For irritant contact eczema, in contrast, a reduction of exposure to irritating agents as well as to the amount of wet work might lead to improvement or even resolution of the eczema.
Occupational Health in Developing Countries
Our purpose is to transform access to education.
We offer a diverse selection of courses from leading universities and cultural institutions from around the world. These are delivered one step at a time, and are accessible on mobile, tablet and desktop, so you can fit learning around your life.
We believe learning should be an enjoyable, social experience, so our courses offer the opportunity to discuss what you’re learning with others as you go, helping you make fresh discoveries and form new ideas.
You can unlock new opportunities with unlimited access to hundreds of online short courses for a year by subscribing to our Unlimited package. Build your knowledge with top universities and organisations.