Dictionary versus the real world
Did you find the above task difficult or easy to complete?
Your taskMatch each of the 10 sentences to one of the word senses shown in the dictionary entry for ‘overwhelm’.
- Scotland’s wild salmon population is in danger of being overwhelmed by the farmed variety, according to the findings of a recent study.
- She slept almost at once, a great weariness overwhelming her.
- In December 1832, Mehmet Ali’s son overwhelmed the Turkish army at Konya.
- The authorities were overwhelmed with demands for relief, especially food supplies.
- Julius’s wife, overwhelmed by the invitation to one of Willi’s famous parties, had gone to Vienna and bought herself a new satin dress.
- Advancing sand dunes threaten to overwhelm airstrips, roads, and built-up areas.
- Who could have anticipated such a victory only nine weeks after the same side had been overwhelmed 15-3 by Scotland.
- I think we were overwhelmed with the support we received from so many of our neighbours.
- We are reflecting on the practical issues that overwhelm the bereaved person.
- On their last day they were overwhelmed by farewell messages and gifts.Share your answers with other learners.
Understanding English Dictionaries
Our purpose is to transform access to education.
We offer a diverse selection of courses from leading universities and cultural institutions from around the world. These are delivered one step at a time, and are accessible on mobile, tablet and desktop, so you can fit learning around your life.
We believe learning should be an enjoyable, social experience, so our courses offer the opportunity to discuss what you’re learning with others as you go, helping you make fresh discoveries and form new ideas.
You can unlock new opportunities with unlimited access to hundreds of online short courses for a year by subscribing to our Unlimited package. Build your knowledge with top universities and organisations.