How do you ensure that your delivery is clear?The guidance below will help improve the overall clarity of the presentation:
- Speak at an appropriate pace and volume
- Check pronunciation of vocabulary in advance – identify important vocabulary and phrases and make sure you know how to say them (see activity below)
- Make sure only important points are outlined on the slides – avoid using too much text
- Practise – careful preparation and rehearsal will build confidence.
Your taskWhen giving presentations, it’s important that your audience understands key words and phrases so your main message is communicated effectively.Zahra’s topic was Human Resources (HR). The words below are relevant to this context and need to be spoken clearly and understood by the audience:
- EfficiencyNow look at the words in context and listen to the audio.‘I’m going to talk about implementing a new HR strategy for the company.’’‘Therefore, in the recruitment process we need more scientific methods…’‘…..and the company will see higher staff retention and greater efficiency.’Notice how the words spoken in the extracts are connected to improve the overall flow of speech?Certain words or phrases are important in terms of content (nouns such as ‘strategy’, ‘recruitment’, ‘retention’) and are emphasised, while others are not. These are called weak forms (articles, prepositions, connectors such as ‘a’, ‘the’, ‘for’, ‘and’).Practise some of these phrases yourself. If possible, record what you say and listen back. Is what you say clear with the correct emphasis? Which phrases take more practice?
What Makes an Effective Presentation?
Our purpose is to transform access to education.
We offer a diverse selection of courses from leading universities and cultural institutions from around the world. These are delivered one step at a time, and are accessible on mobile, tablet and desktop, so you can fit learning around your life.
We believe learning should be an enjoyable, social experience, so our courses offer the opportunity to discuss what you’re learning with others as you go, helping you make fresh discoveries and form new ideas.
You can unlock new opportunities with unlimited access to hundreds of online short courses for a year by subscribing to our Unlimited package. Build your knowledge with top universities and organisations.