Weekly study4 hours
100% onlineLearn at your own pace
Basic English 1: Elementary
Learn English for use in everyday situations
This free online course will help you learn basic English skills. It will give you confidence in everyday situations and help you improve your listening skills.
Use your computer or smartphone to hear people talking in English in a number of different situations and test your understanding with quizzes.
You will have the chance to chat with other learners in English and to write short responses to some simple discussion questions.
After taking this course you can progress to Basic English: Pre-Intermediate.
- Language to introduce yourself
- Describing how you are feeling
- Asking simple questions
- Talking about your friends and family, and describing their personalities
- Talking about work and jobs
- Saying what you do and don’t like
- Talking about your hobbies
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Identify language used in everyday situations, such as studying, communicating with classmates, and talking about work
- Develop confidence in key language items useful in a range of different scenarios
- Apply language skills for everyday conversations
- Demonstrate understanding of relevant language that can help the learner progress along the path to studying at a university
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for refugees, displaced people and the communities supporting them in the MENA (Middle East and Northern Africa) region who want to learn English for studying and for work. It has been created as part of the PADILEIA project.
However, it will also be of interest to anyone looking to develop their skills in basic English.
We recommend learners have a minimum of CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages) A1 to get the most from this course.
Supported by UK aid - Strategic Partnerships for Higher Education, Innovation and Reform
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.