- Duration4 weeks
- Weekly study3 hours
Becoming a Better Teacher: Exploring Professional Development
This course isn't running right now. We can email you when it starts again, or check out these other courses you might like.
Improve your teaching skills by exploring professional development
Keeping up professional development as a teacher can be hard to fit into a busy timetable. It doesn’t need to be. This online course, broken into simple steps, will help you develop your reflective skills and improve your practice in the classroom.
Join a community of others working in education, share your experiences and grow as a teacher. This is professional development designed to help you respond to your needs and is accessible to everyone whatever level of resource is available in their setting.
- Understanding continuing professional development
- Areas for professional development
- The challenges and solutions of professional development
- Defining and explaining reflective practice
- Understanding and using Kolb’s cycle as a reflective tool
- Considering peer observations as a means of professional development
- Learning through and from classroom observation and peer feedback
- Understanding what communities of practices are and why they are important
- Exploring a range of online communities of practice
- Building the necessary skills for interacting in communities of practice
- Refining the skills to observe your own classroom
- Exploring the Spiral of Inquiry as a tool for improving classroom practice
- Understanding the importance of being a lifelong learner
- Creating your own iterative professional development plan
Date to be announced
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Reflect on your own beliefs about teaching, learning and professional development
- Explore the characteristics of successful professional development
- Apply a range of tools, activities and strategies to reflect on and improve learning and teaching
- Identify aspects of your professional practice to develop
- Collaborate with and learn from peers by engaging with communities of practice
- Develop your own iterative professional development plan
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for recently qualified and experienced teachers who are looking to:
- further develop their reflective skills
- update their current practice
- connect with other professionals
It specifically addresses the needs of teachers who teach English (either as a medium of instruction or as a subject) but is also relevant for those who teach other subjects.
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please enable all cookies and refresh the page to view this content.