Weekly study3 hours
Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 3 of 4
Get full ExpertTrack access$39/month
Budgeting: How to Prepare a Cash and Functional Budget
Discover the importance of financial planning
This three-week course will help you explore budgeting in action as you learn how to start producing budgets.
You’ll gain the skills to prepare both functional and cash budgets, and how you can use these in your context.
By the end, you’ll understand the importance of budgets in planning for cash shortfalls and surpluses and be able to use this skill in your professional or personal life to help manage your finances.
Learn how to produce a functional budget
You’ll explore different functions within a business such as production, labour, overheads, and capital expenditure.
With this knowledge, you’ll gain the skills to create a functional budget – a budget prepared for any function within a business.
Explore a cash and master budget
To develop your budgeting skills, you’ll unpack cash budgets to understand how to detail all cash inflows and outflows. Within this, you’ll explore the difference between cash and profit and how to format a cash budget.
You’ll also discover how to accumulate all lower-level budgets and prepare a master budget to ensure you can create a comprehensive document.
Learn key budgeting skills from industry experts
Finally, you’ll unpack the resource constraints that organisations face on a regular basis, such as shortage of labour or materials. You’ll learn how to use limiting factor analysis to help you maximise profit by handling these constraints.
Learning from the financial experts at Kaplan, you’ll finish the course with practical budgeting skills you can immediately start implementing in your job or home life to make managing your finances easier.
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Calculate functional budgets
- Identify the information needed to set functional budgets
- Demonstrate how to include different types of receipts and payments
- Calculate receivables, payables and discounts
- Identify the limiting factor using calculations
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone who wants to learn how to prepare a budget.
It will be most beneficial for those who want to understand why month-end and variance analysis is so important as a way to control the spending of an organisation.
Who developed the course?
Kaplan UK is a leading international provider of educational and career services. Building on a rich heritage of more than 50 years of training accountants and financial professionals, Kaplan UK serves more than 48,000 students a year, both based in the UK and from overseas, who train for AAT, CIMA, ACCA and ICAEW qualifications.
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends