- Duration3 weeks
- Weekly study4 hours
- 100% onlineTry this course for free
- Extra BenefitsFrom $59
Integrated Healthcare for Children with Developmental Disabilities
Support children with developmental disabilities to reach their potential
Despite their greater needs, children with developmental disabilities and their families often face barriers to healthcare access. Children with developmental disabilities must have access to high quality and appropriate healthcare, so they can realise their full potential and participate in their community.
This three-week course is designed to enhance your knowledge of children with developmental disabilities and help you to improve healthcare provision for a vulnerable group, by working in partnership with families and other essential services, such as education or social care providers.
- Developmental disabilities and their effect on child development and functioning
- The importance of early diagnosis and intervention
- How to improve health and healthcare access for children with developmental disabilities
- How to achieve equal partnership and effective communication in healthcare settings
- The importance of family-centred care
- The broader needs of children with developmental disabilities, including social inclusion and education
- How to establish intersectoral collaboration with other key service providers
When would you like to start?
Start straight away and learn at your own pace. If the course hasn’t started yet you’ll see the future date listed below.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Describe developmental disability and the impact of impairment and disability on children and their families
- Explain how early intervention can improve long-term outcomes for children with developmental disabilities
- Investigate the barriers and solutions to improve healthcare access for children with developmental disabilities
- Explore the importance of trust and equal partnership with children with developmental disabilities and their families
- Reflect on the broader needs and fundamental rights of children with developmental disabilities
- Discuss how to collaborate with other service providers
Who is the course for?
The course is designed for healthcare professionals who may provide care for children with developmental disabilities, or other groups interested in the healthcare needs of these children. The course will be of particular benefit to:
• Clinicians (e.g. nurses, doctors, allied professionals), community health workers, healthcare managers and Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO) staff who provide treatment and care for children with developmental disabilities
• Other clinicians, professionals, researchers and students with an interest in healthcare services for children with developmental disabilities
• Teachers and other educators who want to learn about the health of children with developmental disabilities and their right to education, inclusion and social protection
• Trainers in academic institutions who are aiming to develop a practical course for healthcare providers in their setting
• Parents and relatives of a child with a developmental disability, who may be looking to learn more about a child’s healthcare needs
• Adults with a developmental disability, who may want to understand more about their own health and healthcare services
The course focuses on issues relevant to both high income and low- and middle-income countries and information can be adapted to your personal setting. Course materials will draw on examples from a variety of contexts, including Brazil, UK, India, and Zambia.
We look forward to welcoming learners from across the globe. Our aim is to develop a multidisciplinary network of learners, with a diverse range of experience, from which we all can learn.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLHealthChildDisability to talk about this course on social media.