Weekly study5 hours
Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 3 of 4
Get full ExpertTrack access$39/month
Data Visualisation Fundamentals for Absolute Beginners
Data visualisations are ongoing proof that a picture is worth a thousand words. Learning to effectively turn data insights into visual language is a highly sought-after skill, as businesses around the world struggle to turn their data into useful, digestible insights.
This course starts from scratch to teach you how to turn your data into a story that’s understood across your organisation. You will learn how to use the elements of visual design - line, shape, negative space, volume, value, colour and texture - and turn them into meaningful imagery that you can use to communicate with stakeholders, customers, and colleagues.
Improve your visual literacy
Rather than starting at chart types and ideas, you’ll build your understanding of visual literacy so that you can understand our instinctive responses to images and how to properly channel them into useful stories.
Learn to conduct visual analysis
Once you understand the basics of visual literacy, you’ll be able to analyse illustrations and data visualisations. This can help you improve your own visualisations and parse great visualisations you see to find ideas and inspiration.
Discover how to create data visualisations for your business
Finally, you’ll move onto creating data visualisations for your business. By now, you’ll understand what makes an effective visualisation and how to combine insights and design elements into presentations that make a real impact.
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Apply how to build the most-used and simplest data visualizations and chart types
- Describe the understanding of interaction, design, and the science of visualization enhances basic data visualization artifacts
- Perform basic reports and dashboards for applications in work and life
- Identify how to avoid common pitfalls, and make visualizations that work
Who is the course for?
This course is for beginners who would like to improve their data visualisations and their understanding of design. It requires basic Excel skills and beginner-level statistics in order to complete some of the exercises.
What software or tools do you need?
The upgrade version of this course will include all the required CloudSwyft Hands-On Lab practice environments to be used by students and learners on this course, powered by CloudSwyft.
You will need a computer running Windows, Mac OSX or Linux, and a web browser.
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends