English as a Medium of Instruction for Academics
Duration 4 weeks
Weekly study 4 hours
Extra benefits From $59 Find out more
Learn how to teach your subject in English
As universities work to become globally competitive courses taught in English are expanding.
Those working in Higher Education are often thrown into producing academic work in English – either as teachers or researchers – without training in English language or intercultural skills.
This course aims to remedy that, giving you a thorough introduction to English as a Medium of Instruction (EMI). You’ll learn about current EMI practice, and increase your confidence in using English, you’ll also work to grow your intercultural skills.
Join us and get prepared for the global classroom.
What topics will you cover?
- What is EMI?
- Different contexts of EMI use and different interpretations/meanings of the term including internationalisation ‘at home’
- Latest research findings and discussions about how ELF research has influenced EMI
- The role of language in effective intercultural communication
- Useful language for presenting ideas in English (e.g. signposting language)
- The use of the voice in effective intercultural communication, e.g. clarity, speed of delivery, intonation etc
- How far is accuracy in language important?
- Issues and challenges in lecturing for a multilingual and multicultural audience
- Facilitating and managing effective communication in small groups or seminars
- Recognising cultural differences in the international classroom and avoiding stereotypes
- Practical tips for addressing intercultural challenges
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts. Find out more
Who is the course for?
This short course has been created for non-native speakers of English, required to teach in HE through the medium of English. The ideas underpinning the course are based in the work of Professor Jennifer Jenkins and researchers at the Centre for Global Englishes.
Who will you learn with?
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLemi to talk about this course on social media.