What topics will you cover?
- What is EMI?
- Different contexts of EMI use and different interpretations/meanings of the term including internationalisation ‘at home’
- Latest research findings and discussions about how ELF research has influenced EMI
- The role of language in effective intercultural communication
- Useful language for presenting ideas in English (e.g. signposting language)
- The use of the voice in effective intercultural communication, e.g. clarity, speed of delivery, intonation etc
- How far is accuracy in language important?
- Issues and challenges in lecturing for a multilingual and multicultural audience
- Facilitating and managing effective communication in small groups or seminars
- Recognising cultural differences in the international classroom and avoiding stereotypes
- Practical tips for addressing intercultural challenges
Get extra benefits, upgrade this course. For $79 you’ll get:
Upgrading will mean you get unlimited access to the course.
If you’re taking a course for free you have access to the course for its duration + 14 days, regardless of when you join. If you upgrade the course you have access for as long as the course exists on FutureLearn.
A Certificate of Achievement
Upgrading means you’ll receive a Certificate of Achievement when you complete the course.
To receive a Certificate of Achievement you need to mark 90% of the steps on the course as complete.
Share this course
Use the hashtag #FLemi to join and contribute to social media conversations about this course