Develop the English skills required for extended writing projects and essays.
On this course you will expand your academic English skills and learn the necessary extended writing and research skills for producing a thorough and high standard extended essay.
You’ll get an introduction to research tools, writing critically and referencing, as well as learning more about the fundamentals like essay structure, proofreading and avoiding plagiarism.
Whether you’re a prospective undergraduate or postgraduate, or are currently undertaking university-level study - this course will build on your ability to research, write and reference essays and extended writing projects.
What topics will you cover?
- Differentiating between academic writing and other types of writing
- Choosing the correct structure for an academic essay
- Analysing essay questions
- Activating what you already know about the topic
- Searching for information as a starting point to build your knowledge
- Evaluating resources and reading academic texts
- Annotating and surveying information from source texts
- Components of a paragraph and the notion of paragraph leader
- Paragraph development and writing a paragraph
- Understanding how to use facts, statistics and research in your writing
- Showing critical thinking through choice of citation type
- How to incorporate appropriate evidence
- Avoiding plagiarism
- Writing a plan
- Essay introductions and conclusions
- Proof reading
- Peer support in writing
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLeng4intstudy to talk about this course on social media.