Weekly study3 hours
100% onlineLearn at your own pace
Extra BenefitsFrom $64
An Intermediate Guide to Writing in English for University Study
Develop the English skills required for extended writing projects and essays.
On this course you will expand your academic English skills and learn the necessary extended writing and research skills for producing a thorough and high standard extended essay.
You’ll get an introduction to research tools, writing critically and referencing, as well as learning more about the fundamentals like essay structure, proofreading and avoiding plagiarism.
Whether you’re a prospective undergraduate or postgraduate, or are currently undertaking university-level study - this course will build on your ability to research, write and reference essays and extended writing projects.
Hear from our course team
You can take this course at any time. However, if you’d like to engage with the course team, our educators/mentors will be joining the course discussions during the following dates:
22 February 2021 – 26 March 2021
11 October 2021 – 12 November 2021
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Assess the difference between academic writing and other types of writing
- Identify the different features of an academic essay
- Identify appropriate search systems to find reading texts relevant to your topic area
- Apply critical reading skills to analyse and evaluate an academic text
- Explain why most academic texts are organised into paragraphs
- Produce a well-organised, coherent paragraph as part of an academic essay
- Identify information from source materials and texts to include in your writing according to the appropriate academic conventions of referencing
Who is the course for?
This course is aimed at anyone interested in undertaking academic study in English, but it may be of particular interest to international students. You will require an IELTS English level of 5.5 and above.
What software or tools do you need?
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.