Weekly study3 hours
100% onlineLearn at your own pace
Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 2 of 3
Get full ExpertTrack access$39/month
Learning and Learners
Learn with English language teachers worldwide
This continued professional development course is for EFL teachers around the world who are interested in improving their understanding of their students and creating genuinely inclusive teaching practices.
The course specifically builds four professional practices that will improve your skills and knowledge based on the British Council’s teacher development framework. It is focused on improving:
Understanding of learners
Knowledge of the subject Use of inclusive practices Learning assessment
Foster student engagement through better understanding
For the best learning outcomes, it’s important to understand what motivates your students and build rapport based on that understanding. This course allows you to watch experienced teachers interact with their students and see how they build rapport, offer praise, and encourage them to speak up in class.
Create a genuinely inclusive EFL classroom
Successful teaching offers students a way to achieve their learning outcomes using a range of processes. This shows you how you can differentiate texts, tasks, and media to support all of your students. You’ll also consider different ways to produce evidence of understanding and evaluate your own inclusive teaching practices.
Learn with EFL teachers around the world
You’ll spend a week focusing on each of these different practices. The course material is supported by video interviews with experienced teachers and classroom films from around the world. You’ll also receive downloadable teaching resources at every stage to give you the best chance of turning your learning into practice.
- Learner motivation
- Building rapport
- Getting learners talking
- What should a teacher know?
- Different kinds of knowledge
- Language analysis for learners
- Practising new language
- What is diversity?
- Differentiating content
- Differentiating process
- Differentiating product
- Why do we assess learners?
- Types of assessment
- Assessing speaking
- Assessing writing
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Compare teaching approaches and experience with others from around the world.
- Reflect on the factors involved in learner motivation and consider the implications for our teaching practice.
- Discuss different types of knowledge and what a teacher needs to know.
- Evaluate ways to check understanding and practice language.
- Identify and value diversity, and apply strategies to promote inclusive education.
- Evaluate different types of assessment and reflect on assessment criteria and activities for speaking and writing.
Who is the course for?
This course is aimed at English language teachers at all levels. You will need an intermediate level English (around B1 on the CEFR) in order to engage with the course materials.
Who developed the course?
The British Council builds connections, understanding and trust between people in the UK and other countries through arts and culture, education and the English language.
We work on the ground in more than 100 countries. In 2019-20 we connected with 80 million people directly and with 791 million people overall, including online and through our broadcasts and publications.
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.