Learn with English language teachers worldwide
This free online course is for English language teachers around the world. It will help you develop the skills and practices you need for your continuing professional development (CPD).
In this course you will look at four professional practices:
- Understanding learners
- Knowing the subject
- Using inclusive practices
- Assessing learning
Short video interviews with experienced teachers will be combined with classroom films from around the world to illustrate the main points.
Video tutors will guide you through each week, offering tips, advice and downloadable resources.
- Learner motivation
- Building rapport
- Getting learners talking
- What should a teacher know?
- Different kinds of knowledge
- Language analysis for learners
- Practising new language
- What is diversity?
- Differentiating content
- Differentiating process
- Differentiating product
- Why do we assess learners?
- Types of assessment
- Assessing speaking
- Assessing writing
When would you like to start?
Start straight away and learn at your own pace. If the course hasn’t started yet you’ll see the future date listed below.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Compare teaching approaches and experience with others from around the world.
- Reflect on the factors involved in learner motivation and consider the implications for our teaching practice.
- Discuss different types of knowledge and what a teacher needs to know.
- Evaluate ways to check understanding and practice language.
- Identify and value diversity, and apply strategies to promote inclusive education.
- Evaluate different types of assessment and reflect on assessment criteria and activities for speaking and writing.
Who is the course for?
The course is aimed at teachers of English as a foreign language at all levels. Intermediate level English (around B1 on the CEFR) is required.
The course draws on the British Council’s many years of expertise in teacher training and development around the world. It will be useful for teachers of English at primary, secondary or higher levels.
You will be asked to share your experiences and opinions as you become part of a global community of English language teachers.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLsuccessfulLearning to talk about this course on social media.