Weekly study3 hours
Introduction to Tourism and Hospitality
This course isn't running right now. We can email you when it starts again, or check out these other courses you might like.
Step into the world of tourism and hospitality management
Tourism plays an important role in many people’s lives. It can make us feel enthusiastic and fuel our desire to visit new places, experience different cultures, and establish new memories. But it’s also a vital industry to the world economy.
On this four-week course from the Universidad de Palermo, you will analyse the main characteristics of tourism, its challenges, and its transformation over the years.
By discovering the basic concepts of tourism and hospitality, you’ll be able to address the importance they have in the world economy, culture, and the environment.
Explore the motivations of tourists
Tourists are obviously key to the tourism sector so it’s vital to understand their motivations and how they spend their leisure time.
This course will guide you through understanding tourists and the important role they play in the natural, socio-economic, and cultural environments. You’ll also look at some of the negative effects of tourism such as displacement.
Delve into the challenges of the travel and tourism industry
There are many obstacles that the tourism and hospitality sector has to overcome each year. From supply and demand to seasonality and tourist flows, you’ll look at the tourism market and how to approach its typical challenges.
Discover how the sector has adapted towards sustainable tourism
On this course, you’ll learn the importance of adopting good practices in tourism and hospitality and of respecting cultural diversity, the environment, and heritage in order to create a responsible and sustainable tourism industry.
You’ll also look at the innovations and investments in the tourism sector, especially in the digital space, in order to better understand the roles each area plays in digital environments within the industry.
- Concept and classification of tourism.
- Concept and classification of hospitality.
- Tourists: their motivations, displacement, leisure, and free time.
- Tourism as a socio-economic phenomenon.
- Tourism and economic development.
- Market: supply and demand (seasonality).
- New modalities in tourist activity.
- Digital transformation.
- Tourism and climate change.
- Sustainable heritage sites.
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Explore and understand the complications of the tourism sector.
- Recognise the importance of the relationship between the tourist and the natural, socio-economic and cultural environment.
- Identify the characteristics of transport companies, hospitality and food services as essential members in the tourism industry in digital environments.
- Develop familiarity with the specific technical language of the sector.
- Identify the techniques, the strategies, and the policies to facilitate a sustainable tourism development.
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone with an interest in the tourism and hospitality sector. It will be especially useful to university students currently studying hospitality or for any professionals in the industry.
If you want to further your knowledge, you may be interested in the following courses. They’re from the same provider and share the same learning outcomes: