What topics will you cover?
Week 1: Should we all just speak one language?
- Introduction to the course
- Language ‘riches’: the languages we speak, the languages we learn
- Monolingualism and multilingualism in today’s world
Week 2: What do we do about the danger in a single language?
- Language and power in a context of globalisation
- Verbal Hygiene: can or should we ‘clean up’ language?
- Being a language teacher and learner
Week 3: Everyone is a language learner, and learning languages is a creative art
- Language learning as creative art, and the role of creative arts in language learning
- The freedom to achieve potential: the ‘capabilities approach’
- End of course peer review reflection
Get extra benefits, upgrade this course. For $69 you’ll get:
Upgrading will mean you get unlimited access to the course.
If you’re taking a course for free you have access to the course for its duration + 14 days, regardless of when you join. If you upgrade the course you have access for as long as the course exists on FutureLearn.
A Certificate of Achievement
Upgrading means you’ll receive a Certificate of Achievement when you complete the course.
To receive a Certificate of Achievement you need to mark 90% of the steps on the course as complete.
Share this course
Use the hashtag #FLMultilingua to join and contribute to social media conversations about this course