Weekly study2 hours
Programming 103: Saving and Structuring Data
This course isn't running right now. We can email you when it starts again, or check out these other courses you might like.
Discover how to save data to use it across multiple runs of your program
On this course, you will learn how to save text and binary files, and how to structure data so that programs can interpret it correctly.
You will explore various common types of structured files, including CSV and JSON, and also find out how to connect to a SQL database to use it in your Python programs.
- Creating, reading from, and writing to files using Python
- The importance of data persistence
- Structuring data using CSV files, Python dictionaries, and JSON files
- How data structures aid compatibility between systems
- Interacting with databases using SQL and Python
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Demonstrate how to use Python to store and retrieve persistent data
- Describe the importance of data persistence and where it is used
- Compare different types of structured data
- Modify a program to store data in a JSON file
- Perform operations on a database using SQL statements
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for those who have a little Python experience and are comfortable using functions with parameters–as covered in our Programming 102 course. Please note: screengrabs and recorded screencasts are key elements of this course.
This course is part of the National Centre for Computing Education (NCCE). Funded by the Department for Education and partners, we aim to change the way computing is taught in schools across England, and enable more young people to benefit from studying this important subject.
If you are a teacher in England you can get free upgraded access to this course, and use it towards NCCE certification. To do this, you must join the course through the Teach Computing website
Endorsers and supporters
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.