Weekly study2 hours
Smart Advice: Broadening Your Students’ Horizons
Other courses you might like
This course isn't running right now. We can email you when it starts again, or check out these other courses you might like.
Whether you are working as an adviser in a UK school or college or in an international setting, you have a critically important role to perform – your advice can be a life changer for students.
As an adviser, there is an expectation from parents or carers, as well as students, that you are conversant with the wide range of subjects, courses and qualifications that can be used for progression routes to higher education and into employment.
But given the scale and range of UK higher education (the largest degree sector in Europe), this can undoubtedly appear a daunting task for the new or less experienced adviser.
Increase your awareness of UK higher education study opportunities
Over two weeks, this free online course will help to bolster your confidence in answering students’ questions, by increasing your knowledge and awareness of UK higher education study opportunities. By the end, you will understand:
• the different progression pathways available to students;
• the subjects and courses available in UK higher education;
• and the benefits of using an online course and taking part in social learning.
Learn with UCAS experts and other advisors globally
The course has been developed by UCAS – the admissions service for all UK higher education institutions – and UCAS staff will act as tutors, to provide feedback and to answer as many questions as we can.
But you will also join a community of online learners, providing an opportunity for interactive learning with other advisers both in the UK and internationally.
Support your students with a complementary course
This course complements Smart Choices: Broadening Your Horizons – another free online course developed by UCAS, which will be available soon. Designed for young people in school, it will help them discover more about their post-18 options and pathways, and explore the wide range of subjects and opportunities offered in higher education.
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for advisers in schools and colleges both in the UK and internationally, but it will also be useful to anyone who provides advice on career and study options, such as international agents, community workers, foster carers or prison education staff.
Who will you learn with?
As Head of adviser experience, I am accountable for the effective management of UCAS’ relationship with advisory customers – schools, colleges, teachers, parents, advisers, and overseas agents.
Learning on FutureLearn
Your learning, your rules
- Courses are split into weeks, activities, and steps to help you keep track of your learning
- Learn through a mix of bite-sized videos, long- and short-form articles, audio, and practical activities
- Stay motivated by using the Progress page to keep track of your step completion and assessment scores
Join a global classroom
- Experience the power of social learning, and get inspired by an international network of learners
- Share ideas with your peers and course educators on every step of the course
- Join the conversation by reading, @ing, liking, bookmarking, and replying to comments from others
Map your progress
- As you work through the course, use notifications and the Progress page to guide your learning
- Whenever you’re ready, mark each step as complete, you’re in control
Want to know more about learning on FutureLearn? Using FutureLearn
Do you know someone who'd love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLsmartadvice to talk about this course on social media.