Teaching English: How to Plan a Great Lesson
Duration 4 weeks
Weekly study 2 hours
Extra benefits From $74 Find out more
Gain new teaching skills and practices to put towards your CPD
By learning to develop a great lesson, English language teachers give students the best opportunity to retain what they’ve learnt. On this course, you will look at four professional practices, share your own teaching experiences, and apply what you’ve learnt to your CPD.
You will learn to understand your students and build a rapport with them. You will explore the key factors to remember when planning lessons and courses, including using resources like technology and flashcards. You will also learn how to manage the lesson and keep your students engaged with your teaching methods.
What topics will you cover?
- Learner motivation.
- Building rapport.
- Getting learners talking.
Planning lessons and courses
- Why and how do teachers plan lessons and courses.
- What are the key factors to consider?
- Identifying aims and stages in your own and others’ lessons.
- Making the most of the resources available to you.
- The role of technology.
- Using flashcards and realia.
- Boardwork, Sharing resources with others.
Managing the lesson
- Factors that influence learning.
- Teacher language and the use of L1.
- Pair and group work.
- Engaging learners.
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts. Find out more
Who is the course for?
This course is for English language teachers worldwide in any setting at primary, secondary, or higher levels.
Who will you learn with?
I'm an "educator" on some British Council futurelearn courses.
- EdTech & UX Design Research
- EFL & Digital Competence Teaching & Training
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Get a taste of this course
Find out what this course is like by previewing some of the course steps before you join:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLgreatlessons to talk about this course on social media.