- Duration2 weeks
- Weekly study3 hours
Understanding Financial Statements
What is your financial statement trying to tell you?
Every business maintains financial records that help us to understand how well it’s doing. In this course, you’ll learn how to read them.
You’ll explore a range of financial statements - focusing on income statements, statements of financial position and cash flow statements. You’ll also investigate the different branches of accounting and learn to identify who else in the business uses this accounting information.
What do these statements contain? What do they reveal? Who makes use of them? This course will help you to answer these questions.
- Introduction to accounting and its branches
- Identifying different users of accounting information and their requirements
- Overview of financial statements
- Introduction to income statement
- Introduction to statement of financial position
- Introduction to cash flow statement
When would you like to start?
Date to be announced
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Investigate the different branches of accounting
- Identify the main users of accounting information and their requirements
- Explain the purpose of financial statements (income statement, statement of financial position and cash flow statement)
- Explore items typically included in each of the financial statements and their meaning
- Interpret financial statements for decision-making purposes
Who is the course for?
This course would suit anyone looking for additional basic accounting skills. These are skills that can help you make better decisions and advance in your career. It may be of particular interest to people in senior management and leadership roles, who lack an accounting background.
Please note that the staff described in the ‘Who will you learn with?’ section below may be subject to change.
What's different about this course?
Since 2017 you have been able to take a degree on FutureLearn. This free course is a bit like a starter course for a degree — it should give you a flavour of the degree subject but can also be your first step towards a degree qualification.
If you enjoy this course you can apply to join the program it’s part of to start working towards a degree on FutureLearn.
Don’t worry, you can still take the course without doing a full degree!
How do degrees work on FutureLearn?
Which program and degree is this course part of?
This course is part of the program Financial Analysis , which is one of the building blocks that leads to degrees in Master of Business Administration, Master of Business Administration (Cyber Security Management), Master of Business Administration (Health Care Sector), Master of Business Administration (Artificial Intelligence), Master of Business Administration (Sustainable Tourism), and Master of Business Administration (Marketing).
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #understandingfinancialstatements to talk about this course on social media.