Explore the inspiring ways in which film can be used to deliver blended learning literacy lessons for school students.
Weekly study2 hours
Using Film to Teach Literacy Online and in the Classroom
Discover how to improve literacy using film
On this online course, you’ll identify how you can use film as a key tool to deliver blended learning literacy lessons with your pupils during the current coronavirus pandemic.
Enhance your pupils’ literacy learning with film
Recent research has shown film can be a powerful tool to help improve children’s reading and writing.
It can also be used to develop a range of abilities – decoding, inference and analysis – as well as expanding creativity and improving vocabulary.
Explore how film is the perfect resource for blended learning
Film education experts at the British Film Institute (BFI) and film education charity Into Film will help you discover what makes film so useful for students learning both online and in the classroom.
You’ll examine how to use visual storytelling to aid students’ analytical abilities and apply an understanding of sound to help pupils’ visual literacy and interpretation skills.
Create lessons that engage and excite
Discovering an array of inspiring activities and teaching frameworks, you’ll learn how to create lessons from your own homes or the classroom.
Film is a resource that’s easy to use and access, and that can hold students’ attention – perfect for these times of online teaching and disrupted resources. You’ll come away able to create literacy lessons that will engage all.
What topics will you cover?
- How to use the 3Cs and 3Ss to educate pupils around analysis, comprehension, and narrative writing.
- How to breakdown a short film into camera, colour, character, sound, story, setting.
- How each element can be used to create engaging lessons before being bought together.
When would you like to start?
Start straight away and join a global classroom of learners. If the course hasn’t started yet you’ll see the future date listed below.
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Apply knowledge of using visual storytelling to aid students’ analytical skills
- Apply knowledge of sound to aid pupils' visualisation and interpretation skills
- Apply knowledge of frame composition, such as camera shots, angles and movement, to create extended writing
- Demonstrate how other creative approaches can be used to engage and encourage pupils
Who is the course for?
The course is aimed at educators who are teaching their pupils either in the classroom or from home during this difficult period and are looking for engaging, relevant, and easy to use resources.
Who will you learn with?
Alexia worked as a primary school teacher and enjoyed leading a successful film club. She is now the Training Manager at Into Film.
As a primary school teacher in South Wales Simon taught right across the KS 1&2 spectrum.
He was also the Teacher Training Manager at Into Film before starting his own training company - eCoach.
Chevonne taught English and Film Studies in UK secondary schools for nearly a decade and is now a Senior Learning Coordinator at Into Film.
Learning on FutureLearn
Your learning, your rules
- Courses are split into weeks, activities, and steps to help you keep track of your learning
- Learn through a mix of bite-sized videos, long- and short-form articles, audio, and practical activities
- Stay motivated by using the Progress page to keep track of your step completion and assessment scores
Join a global classroom
- Experience the power of social learning, and get inspired by an international network of learners
- Share ideas with your peers and course educators on every step of the course
- Join the conversation by reading, @ing, liking, bookmarking, and replying to comments from others
Map your progress
- As you work through the course, use notifications and the Progress page to guide your learning
- Whenever you’re ready, mark each step as complete, you’re in control
- Complete 90% of course steps and all of the assessments to earn your certificate
Want to know more about learning on FutureLearn? Using FutureLearn
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Do you know someone who'd love this course? Tell them about it...
More courses you might like
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.