Develop the knowledge to create your own effective virtual scenarios
Virtual scenarios are online educational resources which help learners explore real world decisions, making both good judgements and errors in a safe environment. They are used to prepare professionals to deal with a range of workplace challenges.
On this course you will explore this technology, learning how to use virtual scenarios in your own teaching or training. You will learn from educators who are part of the WAVES network, and from experts across academia and business who provide training that spans disciplines such as medicine and health, legal and engineering.
What topics will you cover?
- Scenario-Based Learning (SBL) and how it works
- The science of decision-making and cognition
- The importance of storytelling in learning
- Technologies available to support Virtual Scenarios
- Planning and developing a Virtual Scenario
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts. Find out more
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Reflect upon the benefits to learners of Scenario-Based Learning and interactive Virtual Scenarios
- Describe the importance of storytelling and decision-making in developing engaging learning experiences
- Compare the features of available Virtual Scenario authoring software tools and their suitability
- Design and plan your own Virtual Scenarios
- Discuss examples of Scenario-Based Learning activities and their effectiveness
Who is the course for?
This course is for teachers and trainers in any discipline who wish to create their own virtual scenarios, or learn about this approach. The course will also be of value to those studying or interested in working in education disciplines or instructional design.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLVirtualScenario to talk about this course on social media.