- Duration3 weeks
- Weekly study3 hours
What Is Poetry? An Introduction to Literary Analysis
Explore, understand and critique poetry
What are the different ways you can understand a poem? How do different elements of a poem work together? What difference does context make to literature?
Get answers to these questions and more with this course introducing poetry analysis and literary analysis.
You will examine a variety of texts written in different genres in order to develop an understanding of how writers deploy language to convey their ideas. You will develop fundamental skills in literary analysis, preparing your for further study of literature and creative writing.
- What is poetry?
- Carpe diem
When would you like to start?
Date to be announced
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Explain key literary concepts and findings in appropriate written forms.
- Interpret literary works from different genres and eras at a foundational level.
- Identify a variety of literary forms and the key terms used to describe and understand them.
- Apply core linguistic concepts and principles in analysing English literature.
Who is the course for?
This course is for anyone interested in poetry, English, literature, or literary analysis. You don’t need any previous experience.
Who developed the course?
The University of Newcastle is a world-class university distinguished by a commitment to equity and excellence. Ranked in Australia’s Top 10 universities, and 197th in the world (QS rankings, 2021).
- LocationNewcastle, Australia
- World rankingTop 200Source: QS World University Rankings 2021
Advance your career with a degree
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #UniNewcastle to talk about this course on social media.