Weekly study4 hours
World of Spies: Keeping Secrets
This course isn't running right now. We can email you when it starts again, or check out these other courses you might like.
Have you got what it takes to become a spy?
The key attributes of a good spy include strong critical thinking and communication skills, logical thinking skills, and a love of codebreaking puzzles.
Do you think you’ve got what it takes?
On this spy training course, you’ll develop key spy skills, while learning about the fascinating world of espionage.
You’ll learn about code-making and complete codebreaking puzzles.
As you build your skills in logical thinking, you’ll find out if you’ve got what it takes to be a good spy.
You’ll also find out about real-life intelligence agencies, and discover how they use data encryption to protect secrets.
- Introduction to spying and the common United States agencies that collect intelligence
- Reasons for encrypting information
- Various ways information is encrypted
- Using logical thinking and linguistic patterns to break encrypted messages without a key
- How traditional decryption methods led to the modern day computer
- Why protecting information is important
- How information we provide in social media can compromise the safety of our personal information
- The effectiveness of modern day encryption
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Investigate reasons for encrypting information.
- Compare various methods for encrypting information.
- Apply logical thinking, linguistic patterns, and historical enciphering methods to encipher and decipher messages.
- Evaluate weaknesses of various encoding and enciphering methods.
- Debate the necessity and effectiveness of protecting information.
Who is the course for?
This course has been specially designed for school students aged 13 and over who enjoy puzzles and are looking to improve their logic skills or find out more about espionage.
What software or tools do you need?
Endorsers and supporters
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.