How do we diagnose Invasive Aspergillosis? – Part 2
- Detection of Aspergillus DNA in BAL samples has reasonable sensitivity and specificity for IA in patients at risk. If two samples are PCR positive, the specificity of the result rises above 90%.
- The sensitivity of blood galactomannan testing is good in neutropenic patients but poor in non-neutropenic patients.
- The sensitivity of galactomannan testing of respiratory samples (BAL) is often higher than that of culture.
- Antifungal treatment targeting galactomannan synthesis (echinocandins) reduces the sensitivity of the test. When other agents are used for treatment, galactomannan can be used to monitor response to therapy.
- As discussed in Week 1 galactomannan is one of the structural components of many filamentous fungi and not specific to Aspergillus species.
- Fungal glucan may be a useful test when assessing the likelihood of invasive fungal infection such as IA but is not specific to Aspergillus
- It can be used as a rule in test in combination with the galactomannan test
Aspergillus is an environmental mouldIt is important to consider the role Aspergillus species as an environmental organism. Humans breathe in fungal material on daily basis, and this rarely leads to any disease. Aspergillus species can be isolated from respiratory secretions in the absence of disease. This represents colonisation instead of infection.Each result has to be considered in clinical context. Distinguishing between incidental and significant results can be a major challenge. Often, specialist advice is required for this.
The Role of Antifungal Stewardship
Our purpose is to transform access to education.
We offer a diverse selection of courses from leading universities and cultural institutions from around the world. These are delivered one step at a time, and are accessible on mobile, tablet and desktop, so you can fit learning around your life.
We believe learning should be an enjoyable, social experience, so our courses offer the opportunity to discuss what you’re learning with others as you go, helping you make fresh discoveries and form new ideas.
You can unlock new opportunities with unlimited access to hundreds of online short courses for a year by subscribing to our Unlimited package. Build your knowledge with top universities and organisations.