Sverdlovsk anthrax outbreak 1979 – the impact
- The nature of the event – accidental, deliberate, natural or other
- The importance of laboratory and industrial work, health and safety processes when handling high risk biological pathogens
- The influence of authorities and the state during the response, and the aftermath over years.
- How might workers and managers at the facility have prevented this occurring? What are the work, health and safety lessons to be learnt here?
- In the cultural and political environment in Russia at that time, was it likely that the details of this event would have been openly discussed with local residents or the public at large? Why?
- What negative impacts on the local community do you think this event had? Outline your rationale.
Biosecurity and Bioterrorism: Public Health Dimensions
Our purpose is to transform access to education.
We offer a diverse selection of courses from leading universities and cultural institutions from around the world. These are delivered one step at a time, and are accessible on mobile, tablet and desktop, so you can fit learning around your life.
We believe learning should be an enjoyable, social experience, so our courses offer the opportunity to discuss what you’re learning with others as you go, helping you make fresh discoveries and form new ideas.
You can unlock new opportunities with unlimited access to hundreds of online short courses for a year by subscribing to our Unlimited package. Build your knowledge with top universities and organisations.