What is unsuitable care?
- Large size, with many children – also leading to impersonal treatment
- Failure to provide individual attention and address such issues as a child’s relationships and attachment to other people
- Lack of attention to psychosocial and emotional well-being of a child
- Closed facilities where children are not allowed out – meaning they do not live among, belong to, or interact as part of the local community, from whom they are effectively isolated. This may be due to facilities with closed access in and out, and/or located in remote rural areas
- Regimented daily routines for children that focus on meeting basic day-to-day material requirements, as for example food, clothing, and shelter rather than supporting children in their social and emotional development, and in their preparation for the future
- Lack of safeguarding – insufficient concern or no system that ensures the protection of children
- Collective living arrangements which only provide shared amenities and offer no privacy – as, for example, the use of dormitories
- Facilities where needs for warmth, hygiene, and comfort are not provided for
- Strict regimes often concentrating on needs of staff rather than on those of individual children.
- Poorly qualified and unmotivated staff and a lack of constructive staff supervision
- Constant change of carers and other staff, meaning children cannot form attachments and relationships with their carer/s
- Lack of access to specialist services, especially health, psychosocial support, special education needs, legal procedures etc.
Caring for Children Moving Alone: Protecting Unaccompanied and Separated Children
Our purpose is to transform access to education.
We offer a diverse selection of courses from leading universities and cultural institutions from around the world. These are delivered one step at a time, and are accessible on mobile, tablet and desktop, so you can fit learning around your life.
We believe learning should be an enjoyable, social experience, so our courses offer the opportunity to discuss what you’re learning with others as you go, helping you make fresh discoveries and form new ideas.
You can unlock new opportunities with unlimited access to hundreds of online short courses for a year by subscribing to our Unlimited package. Build your knowledge with top universities and organisations.