- Duration3 weeks
- Weekly study3 hours
- 100% onlineTry this course for free
- Extra BenefitsFrom $64
From Waste to Value: How to Tackle Food Waste
Explore how combatting food waste and food loss can help the environment
Please note this course runs without facilitation
The significant contribution the food system makes to climate change is widely recognised, and consumers are increasingly concerned about food waste.
On this course, you’ll explore how you – as a consumer – can act and inspire others to reduce food waste effectively and sustainably. You’ll learn what food waste is, and why it matters, and gain practical information on how to be an agent of change both personally and politically.
You’ll discover how the circular economy provides a framework for discovering solutions to this issue, and hear from companies that are making a difference.
When would you like to start?
Start straight away and learn at your own pace. If the course hasn’t started yet you’ll see the future date listed below.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Evaluate the causes of food loss and food waste and assess the effect on the planet in terms of food security, sustainability and climate change
- Reflect on your own personal contribution to the problem and explore the potential of the waste hierarchy and the circular economy to suggest solutions
- Investigate how changes in the way we shop, cook and store food can help reduce food waste
- Collaborate to produce actionable changes that can make an impact on your own community
- Compare the practices of different retailers and discover the innovations that are helping them to reduce waste
- Engage with the policies of national governments and the EU and help improve the sustainability of the food system in your country
Who is the course for?
This course would appeal to environmentally conscious citizens who are worried about the way the Earth’s resources are currently being used and want to get a better understanding of the problem in order to take action to tackle it.
This would include employees in the food sector, restaurant owners and chefs, and concerned consumers.
The Educators won’t be able to join the discussions themselves or respond to individual comments, but the course encourages a strong learning community. The learning is focused around debate and discussion – supporting other learners, sharing your own experience and knowledge, and listening to new perspectives. We hope that you will enjoy interacting with and learning from each other in this way.
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Get a taste of this course
Find out what this course is like by previewing some of the course steps before you join:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLwastetovalue to talk about this course on social media.