Find out how to help students dealing with trauma
On this course, you’ll hear from experienced teachers on the challenges of refugee education.
They’ll share experiences of what they’ve learned and strategies they’ve used when teaching migrant learners both in countries affected by conflict and in host countries.
Whether you’re a language teacher, a teacher of another subject, or a volunteer working in migrant and refugee education, you’ll find ideas and strategies that you can use to better understand your learners.
You’ll also learn how to build inclusive classrooms and develop your learners’ confidence, taking into account the languages they know and their cultures.
What topics will you cover?
- Global trends in migration and displacement as a result of different types of conflicts
- The role and impact of language use as well as language development in migration and displacement
- The range of educational pathways and curricula for students from formal to informal to remedial and the role of the community in supporting learning
- The importance of challenging discrimination and promoting inclusive classrooms which foster collaborative learning
- The learning and behaviour needs of primary and secondary learners who have experienced trauma, displacement and conflict
- The effects of loss, trauma and displacement on the brain and how this knowledge can help teachers to understand learning difficulties and challenging behaviour
- The importance of teacher self-care and the role of well-being in coping with the impact of trauma on teachers and learners
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts. Find out more
Who is the course for?
The course will be useful for anyone working with migrants and refugees in an educational context.
This can range from those teaching English to refugees to teachers in schools looking to promote inclusive education.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLMRE to talk about this course on social media.