Weekly study5 hours
100% onlineLearn at your own pace
Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 4 of 5
Get full ExpertTrack access$39/month
Public Health and Nursing: Healing the Community
Discover community-centred approaches to promoting health and wellbeing
This course will teach you why and how to adopt a community development or centred approach to promoting public health within your healthcare role and are of practice.
You’ll learn how community empowerment can engage people in public health, and be introduced to effective health promotion approaches and models.
Learn how to prioritise public health needs in your community
By working with and in the community, nurses experience first hand the importance of community empowerment for improving general health and wellbeing.
On this course, you’ll learn how a range of health information can help us to identify and assess priorities for action, and how to analyse and identify which health needs should have priority in your community.
Discover key health promotion strategies for effective community health promotion
Once you’ve set health priorities, it’s vital to engage your community in these values. This course will introduce you to tried and tested health promotion models and strategies for engaging not just the individual, but the community as a whole.
You’ll enhance your knowledge of health promotion in the community, and learn practical ways of encouraging community participation in public health.
Apply Beattie’s model of health promotion and improve long term health in the community
On the second week of the course, you’ll study the lower-right paradigm in Beattie’s health promotion model, ‘community development’.
You’ll also be introduced to the variety of skills needed for community empowerment, participation, and development.
Alongside learning health promotion activities and interventions to set up in the community, you’ll acquire the specialised skills and knowledge required to improve the health and wellbeing of your community now and in the future.
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Assess the different levels and approaches through which health may be promoted
- Explain and critically review different models of health promotion in relation to your own work
- Discuss critically the conflicts of value that may arise when promoting health
- Demonstrate an understanding of the decision making process when prioritising health needs
- Evaluate concepts of community empowerment, participation and social capital and asset based community development
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for experienced nurses who’d like to extend their understanding of how nurses can act as promoters of health.
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends