Improve the support you provide to students' learning in secondary school
Engaging young people in the classroom can be a challenge for teachers and teaching assistants. Secondary school students often learn differently to younger students. This can require a different teaching approach.
On this course, you will learn how to support effective learning experiences in secondary schools, exploring the different ways secondary school students learn. You will also reflect on your own values and biases to improve your confidence and working practice.
By the end of the course you should feel more confident in your ability to support secondary school students.
What topics will you cover?
Week 1 theme: You and others
- An introduction to values, beliefs and attitudes.
- Understanding the unconscious bias
- Looking at your own biases and reflecting upon them
- Reflecting on your own values
Week 2: How people learn
- An introduction to how people learn
- Exploring a student’s view of their environment through their eyes, as well as hearing about their world views
- Looking at the expectations we have of students
- Building on what students know and what they should know
Week 3: The environment for learning
- An introduction to the learning environment and what it consists of
- Exploring misconceptions about managing a classroom and finding out what teaching is like in reality
- Understanding the psychology behind primary and secondary behaviours
Week 4: Communication, language and literacy
- Introduction to aspects of communication within teaching
- Learners to take part in activities that include communicating and listening
- Exploring the importance of asking the right question
- Share examples of good practice
- How to plan effective questions for the classroom.
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts. Find out more
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Demonstrate knowledge and confidence to work more effectively in supporting and teaching at secondary level.
- Apply the course as a tool for teaching and classroom support.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the advice available to consider teaching as a career.
Who is the course for?
This course is ideal for teaching assistants in secondary schools. It will also be of interest to teachers returning to work, newly qualified teachers, unqualified staff, as well as providing a refresher for current teachers. Parents of children in schools may also find this course useful in helping them to support and encourage their children’s learning.
This course focusses on teaching in secondary schools. If you work in a primary school, you may like to join Supporting Successful Learning in Primary Schools.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Get a taste of this course
Find out what this course is like by previewing some of the course steps before you join:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLsecondarylearning to talk about this course on social media.