Weekly study2 hours
100% onlineLearn at your own pace
Extra BenefitsFrom $74
Teaching English: How to Plan a Great Lesson
Improve your English lesson planning and explore teaching with technology
Effective lesson planning will help your English students get the most from your classes.
On this teaching English course, you will look at four professional practices, share your own experiences, and apply what you’ve learnt to your CPD.
As you explore the key components of lesson planning, you’ll learn the importance of relationship-building and using technology to engage and support your students.
You’ll also learn the best ways to manage your lessons and make the most of any teaching resources available to you.
- Learner motivation.
- Building rapport.
- Getting learners talking.
Planning lessons and courses
- Why and how do teachers plan lessons and courses.
- What are the key factors to consider?
- Identifying aims and stages in your own and others’ lessons.
- Making the most of the resources available to you.
- The role of technology.
- Using flashcards and realia.
- Boardwork, Sharing resources with others.
Managing the lesson
- Factors that influence learning.
- Teacher language and the use of L1.
- Pair and group work.
- Engaging learners.
Learning on this course
If you'd like to take part while our educators are leading the course, they'll be joining the discussions, in the comments, between these dates:
- 25 Oct 21 - 21 Nov 2021
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Compare teaching approaches and experience with others from around the world.
- Reflect on the factors involved in learner motivation and consider the implications for our teaching practice.
- Identify and value diversity, and apply strategies to promote inclusive education.
- Reflect on your approach to lesson planning and the factors that inform your planning decisions.
- Interpret other teachers' approaches and decision making.
- Identify appropriate teaching resources and assess their effectiveness.
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for English language teachers around the world who want to improve their teaching methods and lesson planning.
You could be teaching at a primary, secondary, or higher education level.
Who developed the course?
The British Council builds connections, understanding and trust between people in the UK and other countries through arts and culture, education and the English language.
We work on the ground in more than 100 countries. In 2019-20 we connected with 80 million people directly and with 791 million people overall, including online and through our broadcasts and publications.
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.