Teaching Phonics in Early Childhood
Duration 2 weeks
Weekly study 1 hour
Learn evidence-based skills for teaching phonics to young children
Intentionally and explicitly teaching the relationship between letters and sounds through play-based pedagogies is a crucial part of children’s literacy development. There is much popular debate surrounding this topic, amongst researchers, teachers, parents and education authorities. This course will share research-based knowledge and skills around code-based literacy in early childhood.
What topics will you cover?
- What is code-related literacy?
- What is phonics?
- Why is phonics important in early childhood settings?
- What are some evidence-based strategies for teaching phonics?
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts. Find out more
Who is the course for?
This is a general, introductory course aimed at anyone supporting children to prepare for school, including parents, educators and workers in early childhood education and care (ECEC), centre directors, early primary school teachers, and education leaders.
For Australian educators, this course aligns with the following Australian Professional Standards for Teachers (APST):
- Know the content and how to teach it
- 2.1, 2.5
- Engage in professional learning
- 6.1, 6.2, 6.3
- Engage professionally with colleagues
For Australian educators in before-school settings, this course aligns with the following National Quality Standard (NQS):
- Quality Area 1 – Educational program and practice
- Element 1.2.1 Intentional teaching: educators are deliberate, purposeful, and thoughtful in their decisions and actions.
- Element 1.2.2 Response teaching and scaffolding: Educators respond to children’s ideas and play and extend children’s learning through open-ended questions, interactions and feedback.
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLphonics to talk about this course on social media.