Understand key programming concepts and apply them using Scratch.
This free online course will provide a comprehensive introduction to programming, designed for non-subject-specialist primary or K-5 teachers.
Over four weeks, we’ll introduce you to key programming concepts. You’ll have the chance to apply your understanding of them through projects, both unplugged and on a computer, using Scratch as the programming language. You’ll discover common mistakes and pitfalls, and develop strategies to fix them.
What topics will you cover?
- Introduction to programming, explore algorithms, and apply understanding in a range of hands-on, cross-curricular Scratch projects.
- Explore repetition, and learn how to make use of repetition in your Scratch programs. Create your own art, music, making and animation using repeating patterns.
- Discover variables through real-world examples and learn how to create variables by making a voting app, an interactive story and a ghost-catching game.
- Explore the concept of selection by creating a ‘capital cities’ quiz and a program that classifies animals based on answers to yes/no questions.
- Reflect on all of the key programming concepts to create your own final challenge project.
When would you like to start?
Who is the course for?
Teaching Programming in Primary Schools is designed for non-subject-specialist primary or K-5 teachers. You do not need any prior experience of programming to take part.
Join this course
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #RPiLearn to talk about this course on social media.