Understand key programming concepts and apply them using Scratch.
This free online course will provide a comprehensive introduction to programming, designed for non-subject-specialist primary or K-5 teachers.
Over four weeks, we’ll introduce you to key programming concepts. You’ll have the chance to apply your understanding of them through projects, both unplugged and on a computer, using Scratch as the programming language. You’ll discover common mistakes and pitfalls, and develop strategies to fix them.
What topics will you cover?
- Get an introduction to programming, explore algorithms, and apply yourunderstanding in a range of hands-on, cross-curricular Scratch projects.
- Explore repetition, and learn how to make use of repetition in your Scratch programs. Create your own art, music and animation using repeating patterns.
- Understand variables through real-world examples, and learn how to create variables by making a voting app, an interactive story and a ghost-catching game.
- Explore the concept of selection by creating a ‘capital cities’ quiz and a program that identifies animals based on answers to yes/no questions.
- Reflect on all of the key programming concepts to create your own final challenge project.
Who is the course for?
Teaching Programming in Primary Schools is designed for non-subject-specialist primary or K-5 teachers. You do not need any prior experience of programming to take part.
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #RPiLearn to talk about this course on social media.