- Duration2 weeks
- Weekly study2 hours
- Extra BenefitsFrom $44
The Role of Vaccines in Preventing Infectious Diseases and Antimicrobial Resistance
Discover how vaccines work and explore successful strategies for immunisation
Vaccines play a crucial role in protecting us against infectious diseases and antimicrobial resistance (AMR). After facing the worst global pandemic in living memory, this issue is more relevant than ever.
On this course, you’ll learn how vaccines work and why they are important.
You’ll explore how they’re used in low, middle, and high-income countries, and look at case studies that demonstrate successful vaccination strategies.
You’ll also look into the factors that influence the availability and uptake of vaccines, and how these affect our ability to manage infectious diseases and prevent AMR.
What topics will you cover?
- What are vaccines and how do they work
- The impact vaccines have had on saving lives
- Barriers to the universal use of vaccines
- The potential for vaccines to help address antimicrobial resistance
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts. Find out more
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Explain the basic principles of how vaccines work
- Evaluate the impact of vaccines on infectious diseases
- Describe how vaccines are currently used in higher and lower income countries
- Describe the factors that influence vaccine deployment and uptake
- Assess the potential pipeline of future vaccine development to prevent AMR and infectious diseases
- Evaluate the challenges for novel vaccine development
Who is the course for?
This online vaccinology course is aimed at healthcare professionals interested in learning how vaccines work, and the role they play in combating infectious disease and AMR.
It will also be of interest to anyone simply keen to learn more about immunology and AMR.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Get a taste of this course
Find out what this course is like by previewing some of the course steps before you join:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #VaccinesAMR to talk about this course on social media.