Weekly study3 hours
100% onlineLearn at your own pace
Extra BenefitsFrom $64
Becoming a Teacher
Learn what being a teacher is really like
This course is for anyone thinking about becoming a teacher – it will help you to decide if teaching is for you, give you a sense of what teaching is really like and help you to start writing your application for initial teacher education.
You’ll learn from teaching experts at The Open University, student teachers, and teachers themselves about what it’s really like to work in primary and secondary schools – challenging some common assumptions along the way.
You’ll also explore different teaching methods and environments, and begin writing your application for initial teacher education.
- New teachers’ experiences.
- What is the nature of teaching?
- Topical teaching debates: what are your thoughts?
- Your story so far – and your future in teaching.
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Identify whether teaching is for you and your reasons for choosing to teach.
- Evaluate varied perspectives about teaching and learning in schools.
- Describe the nature of contemporary teaching and the role of the teacher.
- Explain your beliefs about teaching.
- Reflect on teaching and education beyond your own school experiences.
- Debate some interesting issues in teaching around the world.
- Identify the skills and experience you need and how to get them.
- Develop the skills required to apply for initial teacher education.
Who is the course for?
This course is for anyone currently thinking of going into the teaching profession. It would be ideal if you are studying or about to start an undergraduate degree or are thinking of changing career to become a teacher.
What software or tools do you need?
There are no specific software requirements or tools needed to study this course.
Who developed the course?
The Open University (OU) is the largest academic institution in the UK and a world leader in flexible distance learning, with a mission to be open to people, places, methods and ideas.
LocationMilton Keynes, UK
World rankingTop 510Source: Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.