What topics will you cover?
- The nature of language and language learning including discussion of what is hard and easy in second language acquisition
- Language teaching in the classroom including consideration of classrooms as communities of practice and theories about effective classroom pedagogy
- Consideration of two case studies in current teaching practice: task-based language teaching (TBLT) and content and language integrated learning (CLIL)
- Technology in language learning and teaching and the changing role of teacher and learner
- Online versus face-to-face language learning
- The use of English as a global language or lingua franca
- The historical spread of English and implications for language policy and teaching
- Definitions of English as a lingua franca (ELF), the scale of ELF use and its pros and cons
- Exploration of the work of Global Englishes researchers and invitation to join in with a research project.
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLlanguage to talk about this course on social media.