Summary of week 1
You have covered a lot of ground in your first week of the course.
Now is the time to reflect on what you have learned:
- You have been introduced to early modern Scottish history.
- You have looked at religion and the Church of Scotland.
- You have explored the kirk session.
- You have surveyed the wealth of historical material relating to the Scottish past.
You have also taken your first steps towards learning how to read early modern documents:
- You have been introduced to different styles of handwriting in the early modern period.
- You have considered early modern approaches to punctuation.
- You have engaged with the range of ways in which words were abbreviated and contracted by early modern writers.
You have made a terrific start. Well done!
Next week we will turn your attention towards numerals, letter shapes and the parish records of the Church of Scotland.
© University of Glasgow