This free online course is for English language teachers around the world. It will help you develop the skills and practices you need for your continuing professional development (CPD).
This course is part of our Teaching for Success: Practices for English Language Teaching program. In the program we will look at the 12 professional practices for CPD on the British Council’s teacher development framework.
In this course you will look at four professional practices:
- Planning lessons and courses
- Managing resources
- Managing the lesson
- Taking responsibility for professional development.
Learn with English language teachers worldwide
Each week will focus on one of these practices. Short video interviews with experienced teachers will be combined with classroom films from around the world to illustrate the main points of each week.
Video tutors, Suzanne and Claire, will guide you through each week’s content, offering tips, advice and downloadable resources at every stage.
You will be asked to share your own experiences and opinions as you become part of a global community of English language teachers discussing what leads to success.
The course draws on the British Council’s many years of expertise in teacher training and development around the world. It will be useful for teachers of English at primary, secondary or higher levels.
Planning lessons and courses
- Why and how do teachers plan lessons and courses.
- What are the key factors to consider?
- Identifying aims and stages in your own and others’ lessons.
- Making the most of the resources available to you.
- The role of technology.
- Using flashcards and realia.
- Boardwork, Sharing resources with others.
Managing the lesson
- Factors that influence learning.
- Teacher language and the use of L1.
- Pair and group work.
- Engaging learners.
Taking responsibility for professional development
- Peer observation.
- Identifying professional development needs.
- Personal learning networks.
- Reflective practice.
When would you like to start?
Start straight away and learn at your own pace. If the course hasn’t started yet you’ll see the future date listed below.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Compare teaching approaches and experience with others from around the world.
- Discuss factors involved in planning lessons and courses.
- Identify the benefits of resources and the role of technology.
- Explore classroom management and factors that influence learning.
- Reflect on professional development needs and practices.
Who is the course for?
The course is aimed at teachers of English as a foreign language at all levels. Intermediate level English (around B1 on the CEFR) is required.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLsuccessfulLessons to talk about this course on social media.