Short overview of who are the champions of the world?
The stories of triumph and loss are both exhilarating and heart breaking but all of the competitions help to illustrate what a great game football is and why it is still called the people’s game despite changes.
The FIFA World Cup was first won by Uruguay in 1930 and the Women’s World Cup was first won by the United States of America in 1991.
• The Homeless World Cup was first played for in 2003 in Austria.
• Brazil have won the World Cup more than any other country but it is getting close.
• According to FIFA there are 29 million women and girls playing football world-wide.
• Canada host the 2015 Women’s World Cup.
• Five African teams qualified for Brazil 2014 World Cup.
Not every country can host a men or women’s World Cup and it is interesting to consider why this is? Undoubtedly one of the most successful world cup winning teams has been the USA’s women’s team but where else is women’s football likely to grow and what are the barriers to growth in some countries?
The power of football to make a difference to people’s lives is talked about a lot in terms of the high salaries and lifestyles that some footballers enjoy. However one World Cup competition makes a concerted effort to help the poor indeed that is its reason for existing and its impact since it started in 2003 has been impressive.
You will hear from the founder of the Homeless World Cup but also someone who played in World Cup matches and has some interesting things to say about the depth of young talent playing football on the beaches of Brazil.