This course is intended as a brief overview of issues to consider when donating medical equipment.
For more in-depth guidance, we would recommend the following resources:
- Tropical Health Education Trust (THET) Toolkit: This guide provides an excellent overview of issues to consider as well as practical steps to follow.
- Humatem’s guidance on medical equipment donations and medical equipment support projects.
- The WHO’s guidelines on donation of equipment.
- Partnership for Quality Medical Donations (PQMD) donation guidelines.
Note that the WHO guidance is very detailed, but they include five indicators of suitability, which are useful to consider:
- The equipment is appropriate to the setting.
- The equipment is good quality and safe.
- The equipment is affordable and cost-effective.
- The equipment is easy to use and maintain.
- The equipment conforms to the recipients policies, plans and guidelines.
Have you found any other guidance or useful resources which could help guide potential donation or help with the process of donation?
© St George’s, Univeristy of London