Revisiting your definition of leadership
Developing a definition of leadership that makes sense to you is more important than academic definitions.
There are many ways to define leadership. Being clear about your definition helps you to understand whether you or your organisation has a leadership problem or an issue of a completely different nature.
While we’ll explore this concept in more detail next week, for now there are some key ideas to consider, including:
- while there are many ways of defining leadership, your personal definition will have the greatest impact on your own actions.
- understanding other peoples’ definitions can help you understand how and why people see leadership differently.
- over time you should be open to evolving your own definition of leadership.
Take a moment to reflect on the definition of leadership you posted in Step 1.3 How do you define leadership?
Based on what you’ve covered since, use the comments to reflect on whether or not you might revise this definition. For example:
- If your leadership definition has changed, explain how and why.
- If your leadership definition has remained the same, explain why it still holds true.
© Deakin University