Five essential activities for all hospitals
- Implementation of clinical guidelines that are consistent with national guidelines and which take into account local microbiology and antimicrobial susceptibility patterns
- Establishing formulary restriction and approval systems that include restriction of broad-spectrum/later generation antimicrobials to patients in whom their use is clinically justified
- Reviewing antimicrobial prescribing with intervention and direct feedback to the prescriber—this should, at a minimum, include intensive care patients
- Monitoring performance of antimicrobial prescribing by collecting and reporting unit or ward-specific use data, auditing antimicrobial use, and using quality use of medicines indicators
- Ensuring the clinical microbiology laboratory uses selective reporting of susceptibility testing results that is consistent with hospital antimicrobial treatment guidelines.
- Education of prescribers, pharmacists and nurses about good antimicrobial prescribing practice and antimicrobial resistance
- Using point-of-care interventions, including streamlining or de-escalation of therapy, dose optimisation or parenteral (IV)-to-oral conversion
- Using information technology such as electronic prescribing with clinical decision support or online approval systems
- Annually publishing facility-specific antimicrobial susceptibility data.
Antimicrobial Stewardship: Managing Antibiotic Resistance
Our purpose is to transform access to education.
We offer a diverse selection of courses from leading universities and cultural institutions from around the world. These are delivered one step at a time, and are accessible on mobile, tablet and desktop, so you can fit learning around your life.
We believe learning should be an enjoyable, social experience, so our courses offer the opportunity to discuss what you’re learning with others as you go, helping you make fresh discoveries and form new ideas.
You can unlock new opportunities with unlimited access to hundreds of online short courses for a year by subscribing to our Unlimited package. Build your knowledge with top universities and organisations.