The importance of data standardisation and feedback
- Formalisation of measurable AS goals for the group, which consisted of a sustainable reduction in overall antibiotic consumption of 10% (outcome goal) as well as 6- and 12-month goals of increasing implementation (spread goal) to at least one third and two thirds of institutions, respectively
- To facilitate self-monitoring and eventually outcome feedback, a standardised measure and a “low-hanging fruit” toolkit for pharmacists was developed and launched through face-face regional training workshops. (See Step 6.6)
- Submission of data for standardised group-wide monitoring was at first encouraged and subsequently made compulsory as part of the performance management evaluations
- Feedback on the progress of implementation and of changes in antibiotic consumption was provided via email every month to all hospitals by means of multiple graphs and comparative tables.
- Following hospital self-monitoring regarding the setting of goals, action plans were adapted (before the next scheduled AMS committee meeting) to incorporate how much time pharmacists spent performing daily auditing activities, how many of the targeted interventions had been implemented, what improvements had taken place and what the impact on individual hospital antibiotic consumption had been.
Antimicrobial Stewardship: Managing Antibiotic Resistance
Our purpose is to transform access to education.
We offer a diverse selection of courses from leading universities and cultural institutions from around the world. These are delivered one step at a time, and are accessible on mobile, tablet and desktop, so you can fit learning around your life.
We believe learning should be an enjoyable, social experience, so our courses offer the opportunity to discuss what you’re learning with others as you go, helping you make fresh discoveries and form new ideas.
You can unlock new opportunities with unlimited access to hundreds of online short courses for a year by subscribing to our Unlimited package. Build your knowledge with top universities and organisations.