Introduction to week three
1. Safety and communityWhat platforms and online communities will work for you? We will consider how we can make informed decisions about which social networks we join and how we can engage in positive ways with others online. We will also explore the world of online dating and ‘swiping right’.
2. Cultural change and inclusionHow has technology changed culture and how we engage with media? Are we engaging differently with physical spaces as technology has become ubiquitous in the modern world? In this activity we will explore some of the changes that have taken place, not only online but in the physical world, as technology has developed. We will consider how we widen engagement with technologies and ensure that we design with accessibility in mind.
3. ImprovingThe digital society is not all negative. In this activity we will look at some examples of how technology has been used to improve mental health and wellbeing. We will look at some apps designed to help your digital wellbeing, and consider evolving attitudes to technology. There will also be opportunity for you to share your thoughts on digital wellbeing and what you have learnt through engaging with this course.
Aims and objectivesBy the end of this week you should have:
- Developed strategies for engaging positively in online communities and ensuring your online safety;
- Considered ethical and universal design features and how these can be applied to improve accessibility and wellbeing;
- Applied aspects of best practice to improve the digital wellbeing of yourself and others.
Our purpose is to transform access to education.
We offer a diverse selection of courses from leading universities and cultural institutions from around the world. These are delivered one step at a time, and are accessible on mobile, tablet and desktop, so you can fit learning around your life.
We believe learning should be an enjoyable, social experience, so our courses offer the opportunity to discuss what you’re learning with others as you go, helping you make fresh discoveries and form new ideas.
You can unlock new opportunities with unlimited access to hundreds of online short courses for a year by subscribing to our Unlimited package. Build your knowledge with top universities and organisations.