Civic engagement through digital technology: the EPISODE project
- Boost civic engagement in Council decision making
- Encourage York citizens to learn about and get involved with the city
- Become a York Open Data citizen
What are the features of EPISODE?There are three features of EPISODE which have been designed based on the AIDA model (Attention Interest Desire Action):
- The first feature is a large information screen that will be in the centre of York and will present information from the archive in a playful and engaging way; for example, the correlation between ducks in an area and the crime rate.
- A second screen will also be available which people can use to interact with the data and present it on the large screen. By manipulating the data in fun ways, people should begin to appreciate the accessibility of the data.
- The third element is a smartphone application that takes all those other elements, so people can grab information and can combine it in interesting ways, but they can also then use that information and share it with others. So for example, it could be something quite serious: combining information about the number of potholes in their street with council tax rates to understand how much they pay the council for the maintenance of the roads. And maybe by combining that information they could then make a case for the council to spend more money on road maintenance. They could also use it as the basis for political campaigns: perhaps if there is a community group which is particularly concerned about pollution, they could grab the relevant information, share it with others, and use it in a productive way.
Want to keep
University of York online course,
Our purpose is to transform access to education.
We offer a diverse selection of courses from leading universities and cultural institutions from around the world. These are delivered one step at a time, and are accessible on mobile, tablet and desktop, so you can fit learning around your life.
We believe learning should be an enjoyable, social experience, so our courses offer the opportunity to discuss what you’re learning with others as you go, helping you make fresh discoveries and form new ideas.
You can unlock new opportunities with unlimited access to hundreds of online short courses for a year by subscribing to our Unlimited package. Build your knowledge with top universities and organisations.